Scuba Ontario  

Go Back   Scuba Ontario > Main Category > Equipment Forum

Equipment Forum Post your buy/sell items, Equipment reviews, equipment Q & A

Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Administrator

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Depending on the model, shaft seal and the rear cone o-rings (on the HDPE's) The newer Gavins have a 1 piece back end so I dont believe there's an o-ring to be tested there any more, but i havent seen one yet. The vacuum tester looks for leaks from any of these seals as well as any failed welds in the motor compartment section. The tester I recommended in an earlier post also has a pressure fitting so if your machine will not hold vacuum you can pressureize the compartment through the same fitting, throw the back end in a tub of water and look for leaks. The cheaper vacuum testers from canadian tire and auto parts extra are vacuum only and dont have the pressure fitting.

The shaft seal on every gavin is made of 2 pieces of polished ceramic that trap a small film of water between them which is what forms the rotary seal. Dropping or even bumping your scooter on the rear cone can easily damage this ceramic causing a leak. This is true for the Gavins, SS, mako and any other scooter wsing this style of rear hub.
Thanks Kevin. didn't know there was an oring under the cone. whats the general maintenance policy for changing the shaft seal and that oring. yearly every 2 years? when it go's
Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Jay Roy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
What payment option did you use Jay?
Faxed him credit card info...
Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 AM
GUE Instructor

Steve B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Hi Steve just wondering what special parts are on an ss that people would have to send it back to Rodney.

And want to clarify for mine and maybe everyones elses. The vacuum tester is to test the shaft seal primarily correct? and or motor compartment including shaft seal. And how often do you test it?

Kevin already answered the vacuum testing part of your question. As to how often to test it, I would say anytime you are in doubt that you may have knocked the prop shaft assembly or after you blow the dust out of the engine compartement, after a long drive (trip), before a scooter dependant dive. I've never experience a leak myself (knock on wood).

They are tough machines that can handle a fair bit of abuse. If you take care of them, They will last you a very long time. My friend Leigh has an old PVC scooter that was used in the WKPP, it's over 10 years old and still going strong. I've seen divers toss their scooter around like a big old fire log and to my surprise, never had problems.

In regards to the differences between the SS and Gavins. The motors themselves are identical but every other component of the SS are special machined parts, even the tubes themselves, it does make them look nice. Components like the SS clutch is made of a plastic/teflon type material that will leave you dead in the water and needs to be replaced when it slips. The AJ/WKPP clutch's in the Gavins are made of aluminum and delrin which allows a diver to recover from a runaway scooter scenario.

Getting parts is not a big issue or factor in choosing between both but a small part of a big picture. You should be carrying spare parts anyway. It's a rather easy choice for me since the Gavin is the standard scooter of choice for GUE. They've been proven solid scooters.

Just on a side note, we are discussing scooters that are being used as tools and not as toys. If I was going to buy a scooter to do recreational dives that can be done swimming then I'd get a mini-G or X-scooter.

Hope this helps

Steve

Last edited by Steve B; 01-28-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:06 AM

Rob Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Scooter for sale!

Anyone see this post?
http://www.ontariodiving.com/showthread.php?t=10384

Looks like a good deal, I don't know much about scooters just passing along the info.

http://www.ontariodiving.com/attachm...9&d=1233115684
Old 01-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Jen is on a distinguished road

Saw that last night. Good price considering that most SS's are up for sale for $2800 US.

I've always wanted a Gavin, and now having tried a little of both I do prefer the Gavin. I just like how easy it sets up. My other factors of choice are focused on the team and who I want to dive with. Most of the gang have Gavins...where I want to go have Gavins...so I just have to bring the back end, as I know all other parts will fit, and work. This discussion has already been brought up, but us girls always get brushed aside for comments so we tend not to add to many conversations you'll find.

I have posted looking so hopefully a few bites will come in from anyone with some scooters sitting on the fence.

Last edited by Jen; 01-28-2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Saw that last night. Good price considering that most SS's are up for sale for $2800 US.

I've always wanted a Gavin, and now having tried a little of both I do prefer the Gavin. I just like how easy it sets up. My other factors of choice are focused on the team and who I want to dive with. Most of the gang have Gavins...where I want to go have Gavins...so I just have to bring the back end, as I know all other parts will fit, and work. This discussion has already been brought up, but us girls always get brushed aside for comments so we tend not to add to many conversations you'll find.

I have posted looking so hopefully a few bites will come in from anyone with some scooters sitting on the fence.
Well I pay attention to your posts...lol. ya the gavin seems to be the fav amongst people here and from reading up on them I can see why. I'll make my move next year spent enough all ready, The season has hardly started and I thought divorces were costly ...lol..

Last edited by Rob Smith; 01-28-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Jay Roy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Smith View Post
Well I pay attention to your posts...lol. ya the gavin seems to be the fav amongst people here and from reading up on them I can see why. I'll make my move next year spent enough all ready, The season has hardly started and I thought divorces were costly ...lol..
Thats why in the yellow pages, you'll find that divorce information comes right after dive shops
Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Roy View Post
Thats why in the yellow pages, you'll find that divorce information comes right after dive shops
Excuse me while i wipe the coffee off my computer screen,, ROARRRR...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Giddyup

Chantelle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Roy View Post

Oh d00d.... you outdid youself on that one... damn Coke....

My Bloggy Thing

She-P Dealer
Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM

jmya is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Get it yet? Let us know when it arrives. I'm curious as to how long delivery will take.
I didn't get it yet. George said it should ship this week. He is waiting for a body from the machine shop. Regular UPS from Florida usually takes three days to Rochester.

I'll post some pics when it arrives.

Tags
scooters