Register ProjectsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar

Equipment Forum Post your buy/sell items, Equipment reviews, equipment Q & A

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Administrator

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Depending on the model, shaft seal and the rear cone o-rings (on the HDPE's) The newer Gavins have a 1 piece back end so I dont believe there's an o-ring to be tested there any more, but i havent seen one yet. The vacuum tester looks for leaks from any of these seals as well as any failed welds in the motor compartment section. The tester I recommended in an earlier post also has a pressure fitting so if your machine will not hold vacuum you can pressureize the compartment through the same fitting, throw the back end in a tub of water and look for leaks. The cheaper vacuum testers from canadian tire and auto parts extra are vacuum only and dont have the pressure fitting.

The shaft seal on every gavin is made of 2 pieces of polished ceramic that trap a small film of water between them which is what forms the rotary seal. Dropping or even bumping your scooter on the rear cone can easily damage this ceramic causing a leak. This is true for the Gavins, SS, mako and any other scooter wsing this style of rear hub.
Thanks Kevin. didn't know there was an oring under the cone. whats the general maintenance policy for changing the shaft seal and that oring. yearly every 2 years? when it go's

Tags
scooters