Thread: LDS
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Warren_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I agree. But I find consistency in GUE training and the divers who train with GUE. I have been in the water with divers on the DIR path from other agencies and there is no comparison.

Now that we have two, soon to be three, fairly local GUEf instructors we have a choice. Unless they all align themselves with NTD.
Being GUE trained myself, I would agree with you. A couple of Christmases ago I went to Monterey in California to dive with some people I had never met before. All I knew at the time was that they were GUE tech 1 trained. It was the first time that I have ever dove with complete strangers and had zero surprises in the dives we did - from the planning through to the actual dive itself, everything went like clockwork.

I would disagree in that other agencies cannot offer training on the DIR path (although maybe this may be semantics here). The DIR path is GUE specific and if your goal is Tech 1 or higher, you need to start with GUE fundamentals. Other agencies can offer DIR-like courses (which may be just as good - although I really know little about these courses) and if your ultimate goal does not include any of the higher level GUE certifications, these courses may be the way to go.

Additionally, within the GUE/DIR path, keep in mind that not all GUE instructors can teach beyond fundamentals, so if you're looking for consistency though certifications beyond fundamentals, keep in mind that you might be changing instructors.

Last edited by Warren_L; 01-14-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typo